Most insurance contracts state that the policyholder must notify the insurance carrier as soon as they are made aware of a loss. Timely, notification will allow the insurance company to begin a thorough investigation, keep costs down and expedite any claim settlements.
Auto Insurance Claims
Here are some important things to do if you are ever involved in an automobile accident:
- Notify the police and EMS if necessary.
- Keep a disposable camera in your vehicle at all times. Take pictures of your vehicle, the claimant’s vehicle and the accident scene.
- Record the names, driver license numbers, addresses and telephone numbers of all parties involved.
- Record the year, make, model, plate number and insurance information of all vehicles involved.
- Write down a description of how the accident occurred.
Contact your agent and report the loss as soon as possible.
- Here are some important things to know about what to do if you sustain a loss in your home.
- Look for potential safety risk and take the proper measures to correct them.
- Take reasonable measures to prevent further damage.
- If the loss is caused by theft, notify the police.
- Keep an accurate record of your repair expenditures.
- Take pictures of damaged property.
- Do not discard any items you plan to claim as damaged.
- Contact your agent and report the loss as soon as possible.